Monday 14 August 2017

Atomic Blonde (2017)

I'd slept about four hours (too much to drink the night before) when I went to see Atomic Blonde, so I wasn't sure that I would be able to stay awake for the whole film. Surprisingly though I did manage to avoid dropping off - although based on my experience of the film, I'm not sure that was necessarily a good thing.

The trailers I'd seen for the film left me in two minds about what I was going to get - on the one hand it seemed to be setting up a stylish action-thriller, smart quips, 80s retro feel, but on the other it seemed a little dour in its choice of colour pallet, hearkening back to the cold war thrillers of that time.

What was delivered was a great soundtrack for the 80s aficionados, some really well choreographed fight sequences, a dour style, little in the way of decent quips, and the dullest characters this side of a timber yard.

The film comes across like the child of The Bourne Identity and Kick-Ass - if The Bourne Identity and Kick-Ass were going through a messy divorce and Atomic Blonde couldn't figure out which parent it wanted to live with.

What would have been preferable: more character, a plot where you actually cared about the twisty machinations, and perhaps a little less objectification of women in a film which looks like it's trying to create a female-led spy franchise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hong Kong Railway Museum

For a little bit of context, I've been fascinated by trains for most of my life. I can't make any claim to being a true fanatic - my...