Tuesday 17 October 2017

The Snowman (2017)

Firstly, this is the film adapted from the Jo Nesbø thriller, not the Raymond Briggs children's book. It's definitely not something for all the family, unless your family happens to be one that appreciates bleak, sometimes gory, Scandinavian crime fiction. 

Which I do.

At least I've enjoyed the Bridge (more correctly Bron|Broen, which is a much more elegant title, in my opinion), a bit of Wallander (although I've only seen the English version), Trapped, and Stieg Larsson's Millennium Trilogy.

I haven't read the book that the film was based on, so I have no idea of whether it was a faithful adaptation. However, it felt as if the film was a presentation of the highlights of the book, throwing out the narrative logic that strung those highlights together
.
The end (and no direct spoilers) provides a couple of twists, but no real surprises, and even worse doesn't really supply much in the way of an explanation, beyond a bit of pop psychology. There's an explanation of why the killer kills, but not a real explanation of why he did what he did. The set-up implies that there is some plan, some rational behind certain actions, but then drops it all in favour of randomness and coincidence.
There's also the unpleasant undercurrent of nasty things happening to women throughout the story, which is briefly addressed at one key point, but overall didn't do enough to wipe the grubby treatment of the the female characters.


On the plus side, the scenery is gorgeous and the photography makes the most of it, and the actors (particularly Fassbender and Ferguson) generally make a decent job (although I'm not sure what to make of Val Kilmer's rather weird appearance).




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hong Kong Railway Museum

For a little bit of context, I've been fascinated by trains for most of my life. I can't make any claim to being a true fanatic - my...