Monday 4 December 2017

Battle of the Sexes (2017)

Battle of the Sexes is the story of the 1973 tennis match between Billie Jean King v Bobby Riggs, an event that I never knew about until seeing the trailers for the film for two reasons (1) I'm not a huge fan of sport and (2) I was only two-years old at the time.

It's a timely film considering the current gender battles and something of a sad indictment of the state of gender equality when many of the issues raised over forty-years ago are still the same issues our society faces.

The film itself is well put together - the tennis sequences well handled and the performances of the actors excellent. The story itself is interesting rather than compelling. I don't think it's going to be anyone's favourite tennis film, let alone favourite sports film, but it's still an accomplished retelling of an sport-related event that people should know about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hong Kong Railway Museum

For a little bit of context, I've been fascinated by trains for most of my life. I can't make any claim to being a true fanatic - my...